Nov 2, 2009

The New "Ice Cream" on the Block


If you are lactose intolerant, like I am, you will know how hard it is to find a great tasting ice cream substitute.  I usually end up getting a regular "light" ice cream, taking some pills, and hope for the best.  Well, I don't think I have to do that any more.

While shopping last week, I swung by the non-dairy frozen section to see if they had anything new.  To my surprise I saw a shelf full of new products!  The non-dairy frozen desserts were made from coconut milk instead of soy (which I find to have a not-so-pleasant aftertaste).  The brand is Purely Decadent made Coconut Milk by Turtle Mountain.  I bought the Mint Chip flavor, and found it to be wonderful.  You do get the coconut flavor, so it ended up being a lovely coconut mint flavored dessert with yummy ribbons of crunchy chocolate mixed through.  They had several other flavors that look promising as well; I think the Cookie Dough will be my next trial.

I also love that this dessert is made with organic agave syrup instead of high fructose corn syrup (yuck!) Some of you might be happy to learn that it is certified vegan and is free of gluten, soy protein, dairy, and nuts according to the label.  It does run about the same price as the soy pints, so it will be an occasional treat (like any dessert should.)  Now that I have found this, am looking forward to my next treat!

Have you tried any of the other flavors?  If you have, please leave a comment telling me the flavor and what you thought of it. I'm VERY interested to know what other people think!

Image from http://www.turtlemountain.com/.  This is not a sponsored review, and I am not affiliated with Turtle Montain in any way.  This review is my own thoughts and opinions of a product I purchased.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, this ice cream is the best! I love the chocolate and the new chocolate brownie almond flavors!

Grace and Tiffany said...

Howdy!

Thanks this thorough review! Now we want some ice cream, coconut or otherwise!

We linked to your excellent post on our blog, *Product Review Round-Up* under the category of Food & Beverages. The link is embedded in this listing:

NEW 11/11-Lactose free! No high fructose corn syrup! Purely Decadent Coconut Ice Cream reviewed by The Simplistic Mom


Again, many thanks!

Happy Trails to you,
Grace and Tiffany
The Uncommon Cowgirls of Product Review Round-Up
http://productreviewroundup.com