Aug 27, 2009

Baby & Kids Food Resource


Shortly after the birth of my first son, I received the revised (2004) edition of Annabel Karmel's First Meals. This has been a go to book for cooking for my children, and some family meals as well. She has some great baby food flavors and creative ways to entice young children into eating healthy meals. Granted, my son was not often fooled by the healthy food shaped as faces. There are sections for different aged children, family meals, weekly menu ideas, along with information of weaning your child and ways to introduce new foods.
I recently discovered (while researching for this post) that the author has a website with a lot of recipes freely given on the internet! She is from the UK, so the recipes will be in grams and indredient names might be a little funny, but it's still a great resource. There might be a way to switch it over to the English system of measurement by the "select country" but that was not working for me. If you would like to check out what she has to offer, go to her website here. You can purchase her books through amazon (where the image on this post is from) , or at most other books stores.
Some of Logan's favorite foods from this book are:
Chicken with grapes and sweet potatoes
Cheesy Leeks with Sweet Potato and Cauliflower
Mixed Berry Puree
As I have discovered, making your own babyfood doesn't take a lot of time. There are added benefits too: you are assured that there are no artifical ingredients, you control the consistency, and best of all - you save money! It usually only takes me about 15-20 minute. start to finish, to make a large batch of any given vegetable for Logan. And a lot of it I am able to do along with our normal dinner! I will make extra sweet potato, peas or squash and puree it up for him in the hand grinder or blender then spoon it into an ice cube tray. Once it's frozen I just put all the cubes of the same food into a labelled freezer bag until I need them.
So, instead of reaching into the pantry for an expensive jar of prepared baby food - give making your own a whirl!

No comments: